[hackerspaces] B Corporations? Re: 501c3 and hackerspaces in the US

Charles Paul charles.paul at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 00:00:58 CEST 2012

Do people on this list have opinions?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Charles Paul <charles.paul at pixt.com>
Date: Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 4:57 PM
Subject: Benefit Corporation?
To: Gumbo Labs Discussion List <gumbolabs-discuss at lists.gumbolabs.org>

Louisiana recently passed a b corporation (Public Benefit Corporation) act:

http://www.legis.state.la.us/billdata/streamdocument.asp?did=809858

A hackerspace could qualify to provide public benefit as it applies to
category (e) of §1803 A.10
(e)  Promoting the arts, sciences, or advancement of knowledge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benefit_corporation