[hackerspaces] hackerspaces on resumes

Far McKon farmckon at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 07:48:05 CET 2012

> Some of the people who don't like the word 'hacker' might be people
> who are looking at your resume.  The people who do the first-pass look
> at your resume might be totally different from the people who
> interview you, who might be totally different from your coworkers.

I think (sadly) in a some cases the above advice is good. If you want
a simple 'keep your head down, mind your own business, pay the bills'
job, avoiding the word 'hacker' might be the right thing to do though.

If you want to be a 'maker' or a 'tinkerer' or a 'community workshop'
that is awesome too!   If a company see the word 'hacker' and throws
your resume in the trash because of it, they are going to be so
incompetent they will drive you mad as an employee.  You make consider
'hackerspace' or 'hacker' as a reverse-filter. It may be a way to
filter out the places that are so inane or thoughtless that you would
not want to work there anyway.

However  Some people* like the word 'Hacker.'   Some people* reading
your resume may have asked HR to put hacker-resume's at the top of the
inbox.* Some people* work at places** where not only the founders, but
most department heads,  are members of hackerspace(s)

<Blatant self-promotion. cover your eyes! >
Some places** send their hackers to things like MakerFaire, CCC, or
DIY events for fun, education, and recruiting
Some people* are hiring Linux dev's, EE's, C/C++/QT hackers, network
devs,  and other classes of awesome smart people that get things done
Some people* can accept resume's via the 'yet-unposted position' link
of http://www.makerbot.com/jobs/
Some Places** love  github, sourceforge, hack-a-day or bitbucket links
to be impressed with!
</ blatant self-promotion. Apologies to everyone offended. >

Hack on,
- Far McKon

* by 'some people' I mean me.
** By places I mean MakerBot. aka 'that 3d printer place under
NYCResistor hackerspace in Brooklyn'

http://www.FarMcKon.net "Creatively Maladjusted"