[hackerspaces] hackerspaces on resumes

William Macfarlane wmacfarl at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 23:10:07 CET 2012

Some people don't like the word 'hacker'.  The people may or may not
be assholes and may or may not be worthy of our respect or
consideration.

Some of the people who don't like the word 'hacker' might be people
who are looking at your resume.  The people who do the first-pass look
at your resume might be totally different from the people who
interview you, who might be totally different from your coworkers.

If you have reason to imagine that the company you're applying to has
sufficient division of labor that an uninformed HR person who you
won't be working with once you actually have the job (who could
certainly be a thoughtless asshole) might read "hackerspace" and think
"nefarious criminal enterprise",  you might want to avoid putting
"hackerspace" on your resume.  Might consider, also, calling it a
"community workshop" on your resume and then calling it a hackerspace
when you get to your interview where you are presumably talking to at
least some of the people who you might work with every day.

Or you might not.

shrug.

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 4:33 PM, Al Jigong Billings
<albill at openbuddha.com> wrote:
> On 1/24/12 1:31 PM, Curbob wrote:
>> During my interview for my current job I told my soon to be boss that
>> I put on a hacker convention each year and I'm a member of a hacker
>> space, just so he knew before he hired me. That way if he had a
>> problem later, I could say I told you about this. He still hired me.
>
> I'm missing something between you and Sam. Why would it be a problem
> that you need to warn people about? Do you warn them about all of your
> hobbies, like using sailboats on the weekends?
>
>  I've got to wonder where some people work where they need to give
> disclaimers to hiring managers and why you would want to work in such a
> place.
>
> Al

-Will
www.partsandcrafts.org