[hackerspaces] Social Swarm

hellekin hellekin at hackerspaces.org
Sun Jan 22 05:18:06 CET 2012

Hello list,

I'd like to introduce the social swarm. If you're interested in Hackupy,
freedom towers, tor, GNUnet, RetroShare, and the kind of
privacy-enhancing technologies, you're invited to lookup the social
swarm and join the discussion.

But the discussion is not only for hackers, as the aim is to bring
alternate routes for our social networks to thrive, away from mass
surveillance. That includes millions of people who are gladly trapped
into the webs of privacy-denying authorities. Ignore alien orders! Let's
swarm!

Following the launch of the project at 28c3[1][2], the social swarm is
looking for potential partners.[3] That can be you, your hackerspace,
your organization, or someone you know. Please spread the word!

Social Swarm is an open think tank initiated by the German privacy and
digital rights NGO FoeBuD[4].

Regards,

==
hk

[1] http://youtu.be/uLiAzg7bJ6g
[2] http://events.ccc.de/congress/2011/wiki/Social_swarm
[3] http://socialwarm.net/wiki/Partners
[4] http://foebud.org/

>From the wiki at http://socialswarm.net/:

==== Status quo ====
Current social web platforms display a strong tendency towards
centralization. Behind each of these platforms is a single company
acting as a central authority. As we use the platform, we feed the
central authority with our data – and what the company then does with
our information is beyond our control.

==== Our vision ====
We want to put our social networks back in control of their own data.
We want You to be able to choose which people see your data.
We want to be independent from centralized infrastructures.

==== How to contribute ====
We need you to help people get back in control: to discuss strategies,
to build the networks, and to co-learn how to safe-guard our data and
our social networks.

There are many projects trying to solve these issues. We need to come up
with sensible requirements in order to find a solution that we can
advance together.