[hackerspaces] Looking for another hackerspace to share telepresence

Bob Baddeley hackerspace-discuss at bobbaddeley.com
Thu Jan 19 18:31:35 CET 2012

I implemented this at a former job using completely open source tools
and off-the-shelf components: ( http://vimeo.com/25094355)

We used vlc to encode the video from an HD webcam and display it on the
other end. We had the audio in a separate vlc stream. There was a web
server with some simple web services that maintained the list of rooms
and which IP+port each connection was on. It was still P2P, with the web
services acting as a mediator. The awesome part was having a shared
partially transparent desktop that both people could interact with.

Some lessons learned:

1) We had to go through a lot of hoops to get the latency as low as
possible. Even a couple tenths of a second is annoying enough to make
the system practically useless. Bandwidth can be cranked down quite a
bit until you have barely recognizable blocky video, but it's still
useful as long as the latency is low.

2) Because the latency was so low, any jitter would freak out VLC, so we
had to have a process that watched VLC and restarted it if anything went
wrong. The UI also had a way to reconnect the feeds.

3) We did have issues with networks that couldn't open a port and
forward it to our systems. I imagine that wouldn't be so much of a
problem here where we have more control over our networks.

4) Ubuntu+Compiz is pretty awesome for being able to write rules for
making windows maximized, forced in front, and partially transparent.
Windows and Mac couldn't even come close to accomplishing it.

5) Video telepresence is cool, but bandwidth heavy and breaks apart
quickly when there are multiple feeds. That's why we separated the video
and audio. The audio had lower latency and bandwidth, and it was easy to
connect to multiple people to get the teleconference effect, but for
video we settled on being able to see only one of the feeds at a time.
This had the additional advantage of allowing anyone to participate no
matter what hardware they had.

6) You NEED noise canceling mic/speaker setups. With any kind of audio
delay, you have the mic picking up the speaker, and then you get a
feedback loop that gets out of control. The noise canceling mic/speakers
solve this.

Bob Baddeley