[hackerspaces] spread spectrum para-Internet?

Chris Weiss cweiss at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 17:24:14 CET 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 6:35 AM, Walter van Holst <walter at revspace.nl> wrote:
> On 2012-02-16 12:16, James Arlen wrote:
>
>> Rural isn't as easy as you might think -- I'm Canadian, pretty much
>> all we have is rural in a way that europeans just can't grasp :)
> You should visit the Scandinavian countries sometime. Not all of Europe is
> as bloody densely populated as the BeNeLux countries.

There is a lot of wilderness in Europe, but nothing even close to the
scale of the US and Canada.  I'm not trying to get into a dick waving
contest, it's just so many people in Europe cannot grasp the size of
the Americas.  All of Spain, or France, is about size of Texas,
Germany about the size of Montana.  Italy about the size of
California.  the entirety of Europe and the UK together is far less
than half the size of the US, little more than 1/3.  Here's a map
http://goeurope.about.com/od/europeanmaps/l/bl-country-size-comparison-map.htm
 drag the red dot around to move the US map overlay.

I've been on a 12,000ft pass in the Rockies where you can see for
dozens of miles, and it's all wilderness.  Not a building in sight.
Not even power lines or radio towers, nothing but mountains and much
of it difficult to navigate.