[hackerspaces] [Noisebridge-discuss] Sister city hackerspaces

Frantisek Apfelbeck algoldor at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 29 11:02:02 CEST 2012

To: Josh Williams <joshdont at gmail.com>

Cc: Bassam Jalgha <bassam507681 at gmail.com>; Noisebridge <noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net>; ""bg at bilalghalib.com"" <bg at bilalghalib.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 4:10 PM
Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] [hackerspaces] Sister city hackerspaces

Just quick note, actually two :-)

One reason why I would be glad to help with coupling of kind of well established hyperspace with some emerging ones, especially in localities which have some serious troubles like not enough food, diseases, not enough resources in general is that the hacker space in such locality could give to the well established partner idea what is needed and the contra part would have the advantage of working on something what has really sense and you can actually quite pretty quickly see the practical results. This based on open source, community collaboration, supported for example by kick starters, microcrediting, that I see as a way to go. Please do not get me wrong, I do like playing with things just for fun and I think that it is crucial to keep doing that, on the other hand helping for example to develop solar lanterns which can be used after some disasters, or alternative low cost water purification systems sounds very attractive to me good too :-)

Concerning the streaming between hackerspaces, I would be careful there. I'm supporter of interconnecting hackerspaces and movement as much as possible, having for  example some cool specifically looking "dedicated" machine at each hackerspace for communication of whatever type (audio, video), would be great (especially if we consider the upcoming satellite communication system which has to be coordinated somehow from various hackerspaces, right?). However I have seen some quite strong opposition of "cameras in the place" for example at Noisebridge. And in a way, I see the reason why to be careful there.

Anyway, I will keep my eyes on the discussion, it is an interesting topic and I will thing about how to realize it, but just a bit now I'm crazily busy.

Sincerely,

Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck

biotechnologist&kvasir and hacker

http://www.frantisekapfelbeck.org

"There is no way to peace, peace is the way." Ghandi