[hackerspaces] Sigh -- I'm not helping with Maker Faires this year.

Hacky DesMoines hackdsm at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 20:36:17 CEST 2012

I do think this is a topic that needs discussion it will be interesting to
see what comes out of a public forum like HOPE and how or if MAKE will
publicly address this issue.  I think that now we are assembling and more
importantly working together; some see this as a resource, some as a
threat, but both would like to see it managed by them.  I agree with Al it
is a shame that MAKE appears to forcing people to pick sides, and creating
a divide in the community as a whole.

There are a lot of people out there willing to take the money, follow
process, and offer your deliverables on time and on budget to the
government.  And if you agree with how that will be used then great for
you, as long as you are up front about your motives.   But if you choose to
make for money there is a word for that and I don't think it is maker (I
will let someone else argue that point) but I certainly not call them a
hacker...