[hackerspaces] Sigh -- I'm not helping with Maker Faires this year.

Richard Frankum richard.frankum+ths at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 06:25:27 CEST 2012

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Doug Philips <doug at hackpittsburgh.org>wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 11:45 PM, Al Jigong Billings
> <albill at openbuddha.com> wrote:
> > This has no bearing on the objections people have being associated with
> the
> > military and projects that may be used by the military for their ends.
>
> Is that how the deal is? Anyone participating in a Maker Faire is now
> giving "the military" free license to use their stuff?

I think you're reading into Al's statement there, and though he (and
Mitch!) have strong misgivings about DARPA the grant for Make probably
isn't specific to Maker Faire participation.

It's hard to jump into the middle of the story, but I suppose this all got
hashed out a few months ago (the DARPA grant was announced in Feb, I
think?). I think "Do we really need to go round and round about this again?"
is a reasonable question, if a bit blunt.

Speaking of blunt, some googling shows that the original discussion was
pretty heated as well. For example, I have no idea who @demilit is, but
they make good points in their storify that were expressed _really_ badly
on Twitter.

http://storify.com/demilit/darpa-and-make-round-up

Personally, I have a lot to read about what DARPA is giving money for
nowadays!

> -=Doug

--Richard
tokyohackerspace.org