[hackerspaces] Pirating Linux

Stef stefvd at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 00:36:41 CEST 2012

The point of having an opensource *license* is that companies have to
accept it, if they dont they are indeed pirating open source, even if
that sounds a bit silly at first glance.

It is most likely not something your ISP has much influence on, even
if they want to cooperate with you to resolve this issue. You should
contact the set top box manufacturer i guess.

regards,

Stef

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 12:30 AM, Yvan Janssens <ik at yvanj.me> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Today I discovered that the major ISP over here uses GPL'ed software in
> their set top boxes, without even putting a GPL notice in the box (like most
> TV manufacturers do nowadays). I phoned their customer service, and they
> "don't know" that the device runs linux (it runs "proprietary polish
> software"), and know nothing about GPL notices.
>
> My questions are now:
>
> Can GPL software be pirated?
> If yes, is this a form of OSS "piracy"?
> How do I get them to release the source code?
>
> Where should I start to find a copy of the source code - the telco, or
> further? The device uses a Broadcom SoC with 256MB RAM and 4MB boot ROM
> (looks like any other set top box to me).
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Yvan Janssens
>
> --
>
> |_|0|_|   Yvan Janssens