[hackerspaces] Cleanliness in your Hackerspace? - metalab casestudy

Walter van Holst walter at revspace.nl
Fri Sep 23 09:05:43 CEST 2011

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 01:05:33 -0500, Eric Stein wrote:
> This IT'S CLEANING TIME lighting alert system is a neat idea... and
> it
> dovetails quite nicely with my plan to automate a ton of things.  I
> like.

This is an idea I would not necessarily be favour of. Getting into the
flow of a project is not always easy for me (I'm an easily distracted
person). I would hate it when I am finally on a roll to have that
interrupted by cleaning time. So far having a whiteboard with a log of
the cleaning activities, the boxes with lost+found items and the
occassional yelling seem to to have reduced the issue to a managable
level at Revspace. At least managable enough that visitors tend to
compliment us on the unexpected level of tidiness. Mind you, the
preconception of a hackerspace seems to be that it has to be an untidy
mess, although it works a lot nicer if it isn't.

Regards,

  Walter