[hackerspaces] Cleanliness in your Hackerspace?

Mars brown itcamefrommars at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 20:29:38 CEST 2011

wow sorry for the long post... i ramble alot... damn adhd.
One more thing...
A WEBCAM!  It's nice to have for fun reasons 24/7 live...
but a side benefit... when people are being watched - they behave.
OK another thing... (remember - I'm lit on adderall right now unfortunately)
And use fun signs like "messy people will be forceably reprogrammed"
and "lasers to you / through you if you make a mess and take over the space"
or the classic New Orleans sign in every local establishment "BE NICE OR
LEAVE" and make sure there's a smiley face or something nice on each sign.
It helps put the standards in a nice way out there... over time people will
catch on... and hopefully they want the respect of their peers.

Positive reinforcement.  Thank people for cleaning up.  Don't bitch hard at
them for screwing it up.  Bitching only makes others lose respect for you no
matter how much you are "in the right".  If they act like children - treat
them like it... but be a friendly supportative parent.

It takes time for habits in the space to evolve into something that supports
the whole point of having a shared/collaborative space.
If they can't even let others know they left a mess and why - and it happens
all the time... for a long time... with no change... i hope you can boot
them.  They'll come back if it's done in a friendly way - with a new
attitude!
"I don't think that this club and yourself are on the same page... can you
take a break for a while so we can get the mess cleaned up?"
Don't make them clean it maybe - hopefully they'll feel some regret and
think twice.

Yah, I'm an old skool hippy... be nice and crap. :)

- mars