[hackerspaces] Hackerspaces as incubators

Walter van Holst walter at revspace.nl
Sat Sep 10 20:23:46 CEST 2011

On 9/10/11 5:21 PM, Sector67 Team wrote:
> We've (http://sector67.org) got 800 sq ft of incubator space (total
> space is ~4100 sq ft), $200/month gets you 6ft x 6ft square in a shared
> office (not private 6x6 offices) for you to work out of.  Internet,
> parking, shared real phone line, access to the rest of the
> space/equipment included.  We've been hosting a number of
> entrepreneurial events (http://www.buildmadison.org/ - coming up) and
> have had quite a bit of interest in the incubator.
>
> Disclaimer in that we're also unusual in having a full time employee
> (me) working at the space, I've won a few
> business/invention/entrepreneurship competitions and used that money to
> start the space alone - we're incorporated as a non-profit.  Let me know
> if you have other questions :-)

Well so fare the answers haven't been quite useful in general, which
makes me assume that my question was not phrased correctly.

I am looking for (scientific) articles about hackerspaces playing a role
as incubators for innovation.

So, I am not very interested in hackerspaces doubling as rental spaces
for startups. I am interested in documented cases of interesting
startups that began in a hackerspace. With a strong emphasis on
"documented".

Regards,

  Walter