[hackerspaces] PROJECT: HackerHostel.com

robin robokow at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 18:23:48 CEST 2011

Hi.

Ideally you wanna create different profiles for people and places.
People can then be affiliated with the place (+state they have hosting
capacity at home and which groups they've been with).

Verification could go p2p, similar to how Bewelcome implemented it
+with comments possibly. But trust-networks yes. Check also
http://www.bewelcome.org/faq#question1

What you're looking at is one of the things we thought of in relation
to http://nomadbase.org a while ago already. We done quite some
brainstorming on this idea, as well as a conference.

For now in my opinion I think the easy way forward for collectives is
to have this feature integrated in bewelcome (which is to be ported to
drupal soon, same platform as warmshowers). Though I can also see how
this could be integrated within lorea for example, or with crabgrass,
with a hospitality-feature. Or in the future fully
federated/distributed.

On the other hand, a hacker-specific hospitality-network could be cool
too. I would actually propose to do it totally offline and just with
pen and paper, ha!

Myself I am not involved with any hackerspace (yet), but facilitate a
"shared-hospitality" house for +3 years now and would be happy to
share more thoughts/ ideas.

Also check http://couchwiki.org

Robin(o).

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 4:59 PM, Agent 5 <ag3nt5 at dc401.org> wrote:
> That warmshowers.org site is pretty neat structurally speaking.
>
> Trust is a HUGE part of this. But I think if we are going to get to the next
> logical stage of this Hackerspace journey we must try. I'm willing to take
> the risk for the cause. I realize there will always be bad apples around but
> that can be lessened if we all agree on a way to handle it properly.
> There are so many options for this too and I wouldn't being to pretend to
> know what the Hackerspace community will want.
> Passport? written voucher? peer review? holding onto a valid credit card?
> signing a waiver and agreement to repair/replace broken items? We have some
> of the most intelligent and creative folk on Earth in our community. I am
> fully confident we'll find the solution that works.
> My current opinion is a combination of peer review/personal voucher (I
> really like the stamped Passports) from a Hackerspace in reference to
> someones character. In addition, I'd add a simple form thats says something
> to the effect of "if you break, it you buy it". But again it's not up to me.
> thats just one vote.
> What do you believe Thinkhaus would feel comfortable with, James? (just
> brainstorming)
> -Dave Johnson
> On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 10:32 AM, James Arlen <myrcurial at thinkhaus.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> Have a look at how it's handled amongst another itinerant group of
>> techno-fetishists… bike touring folks have a site called "Warm Showers"
>> (http://www.warmshowers.org/) which has approximately 10,000 places to get a
>> shower, refuel and sleep. This is a peer-to-peer thing much as you've
>> described and varies from "you can sleep in my back yard, here's the hose if
>> you need water" to "welcome to our guest room, stay as long as you need".
>> I imagine that the most important thing for success here is going to be
>> the Whuffies. If someone I trust is willing to vouch that you're not a
>> douchebag, I'd be much more ok with leaving you to hang in our hackerspace.
>> For example, if you told me that you were backing another DC401 member and
>> saying it was ok to host them at thinkhaus, I'd be fine with it… and
>> contrarily, I'm not sure what it would take for me to close my eyes when
>> openfly is around. :)
>> Is it time to consider the addition of "letters patent" / "warrant" /
>> "writ" or something… which ties a specific hackerspace passport to a
>> specific hackerspace and/or chain of trust?
>>

>> On 2011-09-02, at 8:52 AM, Agent 5 wrote:
>>
>> Good idea! Hadn't thought of that. And thats an opportunity for us to
>> bring more profiles onto the site even if they don't normally allow people
>> to stay there very often. That would give us more ability to promote
>> individual Hackerspaces in general.
>>

>> -Dave
>> On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 10:19 PM, ITechGeek <itg at itechgeek.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think the system should also be able to allow for hackerspaces that
> [...]

Life happens at the level of events, not of words