[hackerspaces] A call to all hackerspaces

Dan Wobser ixrwebmaster at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 18:01:11 CEST 2011

I worked there 5 years ago.  You absolutely can have databases that big, if
you have the money to pay for the high end stuff.  Keep in mind that this
system was intended for government-level type use, and built to handle
databases of that size.  The company also employed many of the lead experts
in the world on facial recognition algorithms.  When I was there, the focus
of research was way beyond how to match accurately, the focus had moved on
to how to do it as fast as possible to
get reasonable performance searching enormous databases.

We were de-duping databases such as Driver's Licenses for an entire nation,
Immigration Visa applications, etc.  We could also do things like search
criminal databases (mugshots) that were enormous.  Depending on the
application, there would need to be a human to actually look at results to
determine if it was an accurate match or not.