[hackerspaces] Acquiring Insurance

Arclight arclight at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 00:07:05 CEST 2011

I think your best bet is to find an independent insurance agent that works
with multiple companies. Put up a web site that explains clearly what you
do.  Often times, insurance carriers won't work with you if they can't
narrow down what you do to an SIC code. Work with your agent and let them
help you get the application information completed and out for quote. You
might also want to not have pictures of your latest Burning Man flamethrower
organ or whatever on there.  Whether you choose to let people work on edgy
projects can be determined later.

In some cases, they can recommend a carrier that does machine shops or
artists' studios that won't freak out. Or they may go for the carrier that
asks the least number of direct questions about your shop and goes more on
square footage and industry.

Good luck!

Arclight
On Oct 12, 2011 10:15 PM, "Will Bradley" <will at heatsynclabs.org> wrote:

> They definitely google you. One company freaked out because we had a
> photo of a BBQ grill made out of the front of a car on our main page
> and they assumed we were blowing up cars.
>
> Just try to have a conversation with them, in person, dress nicely to
> counter the stereotypes and let them know you're the "good hackers"
> i.e. the ones who research and protect instead of break and steal. If
> you limit your insurance coverage to medical and property liability in
> the space they shouldn't have any reason to deny you based on their
> perception of hacking.
>

> On Oct 12, 2011, at 6:07 PM, Danyelle Davis <ddavis at codetemptress.net>
wrote:

> > Greetings,
> >
> > I am looking for insurance for a hackerspace but it seems we keep
running into issues. The insurance companies ask so many questions and if
you answer wrong they deny your request.  Apparently some insurance company
googled our space and denied us because we affiliate with hackers.  So I am
wondering how did you get insurance?  Will we have to change our name to get
insurance?  We are located in Virginia.  We don't have any heavy equipment
yet ( lazer cutters etc..)  The only thing we have is a few soldering irons.