[hackerspaces] New Hackerspace Encouragement - What are your humble roots that got your space off the ground?

strages strages at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 15:58:39 CEST 2011

Makers Local 256 got our start in October of 2006 shortly after the
first Tech Shop opened.  My friend and I thought we could do something
similar and cheaper so we started meeting in apartments every weekend
to work on projects.  Our wiki has been around since this time, but we
didn't get out first physical space until a year and a half later.  We
had 10 members at the time when someone asked everyone what they could
afford monthly toward a physical space.  The total came up to $810, so
we started looking for a place that fell within this.  Our first space
was a 750sqft shotgun house located on a busy road for $650/month.  We
were there for a year and double membership in that time, extending
our pay what you can afford model to new members just as the original
10 had done.  We then moved to a 2800sqft space with a $750/month
lease for the first 6 months so we could make improvements to the
building before going up to $1000/month.  We spent two years at this
location.  We're now in a 4000sqft building for $850/month, hover
around ~42 members and still operate on a pay what you can afford
monthly model.

We've visited many spaces over the years and a delegation of us
actually drove up from Huntsville, AL to St. Louis for the Arch
Reactor grand opening.  Thanks for starting this thread :D

Raymond