[hackerspaces] Unified Open Source / Open Development dashboard for projects

Jarkko Moilanen Jarkko.Moilanen at uta.fi
Mon Oct 10 19:40:13 CEST 2011

Quoting Petr Baudis <pasky at ucw.cz>:

>   Hi!
>
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 06:04:56PM +0300, Jarkko Moilanen wrote:
>> This is not exactly about hackerspaces, but more like about open
>> source stuff, but I take the risk to be labelled as spammer.
>>
>> We (just a few devs and bunch of academics) have been cooking an
>> idea of unified open source / open development dashboard.
>>
>> Here's some more information about the idea:
>> http://blog.ossoil.com/2011/10/10/unified-universal-open-source-dashboard/
>>
>> I did post link to this blog entry at some IRC channels and other
>> mailing lists to get people involved. Would love to hear any
>> feedback about it from your eyes.
>
>   AIUI, your aim could be summed up as "open source project data
> collection, aggregation and presentation in a stream-like interface
> and various other views"? I.e. no hosting of any actual data? And

Yes, this would use metadata only.

> this would be automatic and in theory need not involvement of any
> of the developers? Would any part of it be actually editable? Just
> the "social metadata" or some hard data too?

The idea is to make everything as automated as possible, so that
developers do not need to manually input data, well not all at least.
I admit that initial idea is to enable only discussion like
cooperation inside this service. Otherwise people can do cooperation
the usual way. This solution would not by no means be a all inclusive
platform, more like a sophisticated view to open source projects from
one point and to serve purposes of other players in the game. By other
players I mean industry and users. But the concept needs more
development and that's why I asked for opinions. :)

>   (I admit I did not read the whole blogpost. You need a short and sweet
> and clear summary not using the word "dashboard". :-)

Yeah, I know :) I have tendency to write in lengthy manner and mixing
terms and such. I'll work on that.

>   Have you investigated the alternatives? What about Ohloh? It's kind
> of silly that Ohloh itself is closed-source, but at least you should be
> able to make use of Ohcount and OhlohSCM. There is also the CIA
> (http://cia.vc/) which can be used for realtime commit tracking of many
> projects.

I did hear about ohloh in some discussion after I posted the blog
entry. Need to dig deeper with that. And yes, compared to that, this
would be open source and community-driven effort. Although
community-driven, corporate support would be nice but not mandatory.
Just to clarify, I do not work for any company, I do like and try to
foster freedom (from companies) as much as possible, but still I would
not shut the door for companies to get involved. Just my personal
opinion and view.

/Jarkko

> --
> 				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
> UNIX is user friendly, it's just picky about who its friends are.

  Jarkko Moilanen (+358 45 8877 150)
  M.Soc.Sc. (Political Science)
  PhD Student, Information studies, University of Tampere
  Blog: http://blog.ossoil.com/