[hackerspaces] Out with the "hackers"... In with the "makers" and the "fixers"

h0uz3 h0uz3 at foto23.com
Wed Nov 30 12:17:22 CET 2011

Hey,

As from my point of view, hacker is not such a bad word at all. Hackers do
bad things from time to time (and we all want them to be called "crackers"
because they do bad things and we'd like to be distinguished from them as
we're the good ones), and so the news read "A hacker just did something
bad." But it's just the same with other topics. A cat/dog/car
driver/teacher/priest/plumber can do bad things, too, and no plumber would
ever mind to change his profession's title into "tubework hero" or
something just to distinguish himself from his colleages who did something
bad.

Actually, many of those who commit crimes with computers are hackers quite
along the definition, as they explore systems and use them in ways
different to what they were made for. They just chose the dark side.

BTW: where I come from a "fixer" is someone who uses heroin, usually
intravenously. I'd rather not call myself a "fixer".

</h0uz3>

--
$Footer