[hackerspaces] Out with the "hackers"... In with the, "makers" and the "fixers"

Mars brown itcamefrommars at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 22:46:02 CET 2011

I think of make magazine and instructables when I hear "makerspace"...
as in it could be HSpace type of activity or anything else like
woodworking, welding, muraling, macrame, as well as technogobbleDgoop.

Personally - I'd be more interested in a makerspace if it encompassed such
a general span of things...
but for me it's not just the word.  I like to tinker, hack, build, make,
design, etc in many mediums.
I'd want a dedicated HSpace around too though.

I think that the idea of a 'space that isn't ONLY tech is fantastic... but
needs the tech part in it.
I'd love to see and share skills, techniques, and ideas from many different
avenues of creativity!

We all have alot of skills we can share/teach/help each other -
Perhaps some HSpaces should be a Hack|Make|space and call it a day.

But if it's about keeping out non tech related people to not do a
makerspace - well the pre desegregation days are calling.
And if it's about being afraid of being singled out as a menace to
society... then the McCarthy era calls...
Poor Oppenheimer.

Anyhow... not to bicker... but the two names ring slightly different
versions of very similar creative/collaborative spaces to me... and I think
both either together or separate is a no brainer fantastic idea!

Hack on!  Make on!
And have fun!