[hackerspaces] Out with the "hackers"... In with the "makers" and the "fixers"

Will Bradley will at heatsynclabs.org
Mon Nov 28 01:35:44 CET 2011

Remember that you're emailing the hackerspaces.org email list saying "out
with the 'hackers'."

Most of us seem to cordially agree that you're free to call your own space
whatever you want, and that the word hacker can be an interesting
opportunity for a discussion with the public that you can choose or not
choose to have. As you said, the important thing is that people become
educated.

That's a pretty big concession from an international movement. Arguing past
that point especially in this venue could descend into a bunch of trolling.
Hacker ethics come from the earliest origins of computing and automation,
from the Apple I and UNIVAC to MIT model railroading and ARPAnet; if you
disagree with them, you're free to adopt a different ethic. Hackerspaces,
coworking spaces, and schools are quite different in their ethics, but all
valuable in some way.