[hackerspaces] RANT!: SO VERY frustrated with lack of local activity :( Warning: some negative energy present - sorry

Will Bradley will at heatsynclabs.org
Sat Nov 26 00:21:06 CET 2011

I skipped the last few paragraphs, apologies, but I think I have some
advice for ya.

At HeatSync we have seen similar issues. Lots of talk, very little action.
Creative people have new ideas every second and only a small percent of
these ideas are worthy of putting muscle behind. But if wishes were horses,
we'd all be cowboys. This isn't a problem per se; creativity is great. But
execution is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration, right? Getting real work
done is the core purpose of a creative space. Have those inspiring
conversations at a coffee shop, and come to the space to do the actual work
of creating.

This is actually a main goal of our board this year; refocusing on creating
stuff instead of sitting around talking or surfing the web. We're not in a
dire situation like you, but it's still (and probably always will be) a
problem.

Here's what we did: first, show up and work on stuff. Bring your projects
and do them yourself. Invite people to help, or to work on their own stuff,
but don't get distracted by conversation or brainstorming or
"collaboration" -- you're at a workshop, get the work done, have
discussions elsewhere even if it means outside the front door.

But the most important rule is show up, on a regular publicized basis, and
really work on stuff. You hardly need marketing if you do this; if you
don't do it, all the marketing in the world won't save you. If you can only
make it once a month, or once a week, fine! But make sure those dates are
scheduled regularly, and that you show up, and that you work on stuff.

Don't have discussions about what you should or shouldn't be making. Don't
interrupt others and tell them to get working instead of talking. Be
positive, say nothing within the walls of the space if you have to, and
work. Two things you're allowed to say are "hey would you like to help me
with <specific, simple task>?" and "hi! What are you working on? ...cool,
can I help? Is there something we can do right now?" -- remember,
discussion is not work. It's useful, but you don't need a hackerspace to
discuss things.

Doing this is a form of leading by example and has helped the space
immensely (or at least helped us core members stay sane) -- even when we
should be writing emails or talking to people, we've tried to work on our
own projects instead. Putting on headphones if needed. This gets momentum
going. Doing something positive besides bitch about the lack of momentum is
also a great way of keeping a necessary positive vibe around the place.

Finally, chances are your space has lots of tables and chairs. I'm toying
with the idea of eliminating these at the lab, making them stand-up desks
which are healthier anyway and it's hard to be lazy when you're standing up
at a workbench. They're normally one-sided, too, so your friends aren't
staring you in the face trying to show you a funny video. Just an idea
which I'm sure would go over like a lead balloon even in our space but
might be relevant. We have plenty of chairs though and whenever we break
them out the whole place becomes a classroom or coffee shop and the vibe
changes for the worse. A hackerspace vibe really centers around a
workbench, I think.

These are just my musings and I look forward to hearing other (positive
attitude!) suggestions.