[hackerspaces] Please reach out

Will Bradley will at heatsynclabs.org
Mon Nov 21 22:05:47 CET 2011

Indeed, I find that finding other people like you in the city can be one of
the best things ever. I talked with an 11yo and his parents over the
weekend and although he could use someone to ask questions of as he learns,
I emphasized that there are other people just like him, his age even, at
the hackerspace. His parents hardly understood his desire to compile
kernels and code python, and his nerdy friends barely understood either, so
as he grows I think it'll simply be a huge thing to know that he's not the
only geek in Phoenix.

Likewise, I increasingly think it's vital to keep a positive vibe at a
space. It's easy for geeks to get into holy wars, arguments and
disagreements and that can be even more depressing ("these guys are just
like me and they still think I suck / they're still all stupid!") -- I
think cultivating an unconditionally positive vibe is one of a space
founder's primary duties.