[hackerspaces] Please reach out

Ron Bean makerspace at rbean.users.panix.com
Mon Nov 21 20:44:33 CET 2011

>Short answer: The best thing to do to support someone who reaches out
>is listen.

Also, the SSRI-type antidepressants are worth a try, they work well for
some people (although apparently not everyone).

My problem was social anxiety rather than depression (I was also
depressed, but I could deal with that. It was the anxiety that was
making life difficult). It's treated with the same antidepressants (and
as a bonus, I'm not depressed anymore either).

The Makerspace is what keeps me sane. I don't work in IT, and for many
years I didn't know any other nerds. Now I know a whole bunch of people
who "get it". I never had any social anxiety around these guys.