[hackerspaces] Please reach out

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 21 20:12:30 CET 2011

You are incredibly lucky if all you need to do to make depression go away is to do something awesome.  I'm really glad you have this ability! The question you ask is incredibly pertinent. Short answer:  The best thing to do to support someone who reaches out is listen.  Really listen, and empathize with the person.  When someone feels heard, that helps a lot!  At least for a bit.  And that bit can be a lot.  It is also totally OK, and often important, to ask if they are feeling suicidal.  And it is also OK to ask if they have a plan.  But listening is the greatest!  And, if appropriate, tell them you care, and that you want to be of support in whatever way you can.  And, if appropriate, let them know they can call you any time of day or night for any reason.  And, if appropriate, hug each other. Longer answer: I started to really get into this -- but email lists are not the forum.  We really need a book.  And to talk with each other in person, and in groups, and in our community at large. I haven't counted, but I've gotten, maybe, 100 comments from geeks thanking me for the post I wrote the other day.  Most telling me they are, or that they know someone, who is depressed, or suicidal, or has attempted suicide, or knows someone close who's killed themselves.  Depression and suicide are big problems for geeks.  Most of us were bullied when we were kids.  Most of us experienced some sort of indication that it was OK for others to bully us (such as my gym teacher standing and watching with his arms crossed when others beat me up).  Most of us feel isolated and alone in our feelings of depression and suicide. But it is possible to live long enough to overcome the deep dark hell of depression.  People struggling with this need support, though.  And it is *SO* incredibly scary for many people struggling with this to reach out.  Suicide may even seem easier than reaching out. To explain how I learned to become happy would also require more than a post to an email list.  Short version:  I started making choices for myself.  And I chose to learn from the consequences of my choices.  And I chose to make new choices based on what I learned from the consequences of my choices.  And, to the best of my abilities, with the support of friends, I made new choices based on what I thought would make my life a little more fulfilling.  At first, I had to explore and try things I didn't hate (I was too depressed to know of anything else).  I crashed and burned zillions of times along the way.  But I eventually found some things that I thought were OK, sort of.  My process also involved learning to accept to actually feel my pain, to not push it away, but to accept it, and to let myself know that it is part of me (even if it totally sucks!) -- and while feeling it, focus on other things that are also important to me.  Eventually, over many, many years, I eventually learned to do things that I loved.  Yes -- this shit takes time! -- and it takes a concerted effort over that time.  And lots and lots of trials and errors.  And it is *SO* worth that effort! But, this is not the thing to say to someone who is reaching out to you for support.  The thing to do is to listen.  Really listen.  And assure them that you are there for them.  And if you can feel OK saying so -- let them know that they can call you any time of day or night for any reason. Depression doesn't necessarily lead to suicide.  People kill themselves because they are in extreme pain -- and they want that pain to stop.  Not all depressed people are in that place.  If you are feeling depressed, please, please, reach out.  You don't need to wait till you are feeling suicidal.  Not all people you reach out to will be receptive.  But many will.  If you know someone who is depressed and you feel you can sincerely be of support, please let them know.   But, please know that some people, such as Ilya (and me, during the first half of my hellish life when I experienced nothing but depression) hide their depression very well.  So, please, talk to your friends.  Talk to your acquaintances.  When you ask someone how they are feeling, you can, if you want to, really ask, and you can, if you want to, reallly listen.  Or, if you like, you can let people know that you care -- just randomly, out of the blue.  You can remind them that you're there for them if they ever want it for whatever reason.  It may help. Mitch.  Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 05:25:31 -0700