[hackerspaces] "Inductance" - real or fake?

Mel mel at hackersouverts.fr
Mon May 23 19:26:49 CEST 2011

Loved this video when it first popped around (on Twitter I think) a few days
ago. But yes, at the time the balls did seem animated and apparently this is
confirmed by people on the thread John linked to (with all the scepticism
you should exert, this being the Internet and stuff).

That being said, it certainly is great inspiration and I wonder how feasible
it is. Great suggestion from thread mentioned earlier : forward it to the
Mythbusters !

2011/5/23 John de Largentaye <john at largentaye.org>

> Awesome though it is, the balls are only animated:
>

> http://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/hak7d/this_is_fake_right_please_tell_me_this_is_fake_i/
>
> Great inspiration for interesting projects though. Anybody want to
> make a Kinect hack? :)
>
> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 9:54 AM, dosman <dosman at packetsniffers.org> wrote:
> > Saw this amazing video on a blog and am as intrigued by this as annoyed
> by
> > the lack of details I've been able to find so far. I'm posting this here
> > because it looks like a hackerspace built this project.
> >
> > Inductance:
> > http://physaliastudio.com/f5-2011.html
> > http://f5fest.com/2011/
> >
> > Physalia claims to do 3D animation but also appears to do physical hacks
> > too, so I'm 50/50 as to whether this is a real device. It looks like they
> > are varying the (weak) field of the electromagnet in the ball along with
> the
> > the field in the ceiling coil. I'm not yet convinced this is possible.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > -dosman

Hackers Ouverts - Hackerspace nomade en Île de France
http://www.hackersouverts.fr/
 <http://www.hackersouverts.fr/>http://twitter.com/hackersouverts