[hackerspaces] CC-licensed Maker Pedagogy (Lesson Plans, etc)?

B F bakmthiscl at gmail.com
Sun May 22 16:37:27 CEST 2011

Of curiosity, I  googled "lesson plans".  I came up with these:

http://www.lessonplans.com/  This is a PITA site, as it allows you to
search by keyword OR grade (up to 12th) OR subject but not all or even
two of these.  It seems excessively elementary, as "electronics"
yielded no hits, and "electric" only one.  "Computer" scored more
hits, but I didn't have the patience to screen them for interest.
"Arduino" scored no hits.

http://www.lessonplanspage.com/  This site does allow choice of
subject and level, but its highest level "middle school to HS".  There
may be some useful stuff here, findable if your patient, but don't
expect college level.  "Arduino" scored no hits.

http://www.discoveryeducation.com/teachers/free-lesson-plans/index.cfm
is similar to above.  "Arduino" scored no hits.

So,  by this point, I decided my good\gle search had to be modified to
be useful, so I tacked "college" on, with these results:

http://college.teachers.net/    This sounded promising, but when I
tried finding actual lesson plans I had to be patient, again.  Most of
this site seems to be discussion threads.  When I searched for plans,
I found I was switched back to teachers.net and again had the level
vs. subject problem to contend with.  I did look at one lesson plan --
for Borland C++ Builder -- and found it so skimpy as to be useless.

http://www.lessonplans4teachers.com/  sounded interesting as it claims
to be "Tools allowing users to seach for over 120000 original lesson
plans found on hundreds of different sites throughout the Internet."
Unfortunately, it SEEMS to not live up to this hype, as it redirects
you to other sites, rather than providing a google-type search for
lesson plans.  You can do a keyword search, but I was disappointed at
the hits.  ... and "Arduino" scored no hits!

So, finally I googled <<"lesson plan" arduino>> and got hits,
including ladyada.net/learn/arduino, a number of things at arduino.cc,
etc.

But that's cheating.  What about other subjects?  So I searched on
<<"lesson plan" electronics lab>> and came up with hits including
http://www.omicron-lab.com/fileadmin/assets/customer_examples/Measuring_Equivalent_circuit_of_Quartz_crystal_II.pdf
Okay, this went over my head, so clearly I'm on the right track.

Bottom line, search using google for "lesson plan" and the topic of
interest, then screen the results for level (if the topic doesn't
inherently do that).

Good answers are often obvious in retrospect.