[hackerspaces] pay-what-you-can

Jeff Cotten omegix at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 21:00:57 CEST 2011

Budgeting is difficult.  We ask that members choose an amount they're comfortable donating, and then pledge to make that donation every month.  Members are allowed to change their pledged donation amount, but they have to make make a formal notification to the treasurer.

That allows us to do some minimal budgeting.  Mostly we use those figures to determine if we're going to be short of our financial goal that month, and by how much.  That feedback to the membership inspires extra donations and fundraisers.

Because budgeting is so critical, if members do not make their pledged amounts over three months we consider them inactive and they have to re-apply for membership.

This concept has been discussed at Syracuse Innovators Guild. However, no one was willing to cover our rent in the event of a shortage, so the idea was tabled until the group became independently wealthy.

How does 256 handle budgeting?