[hackerspaces] pay-what-you-can

Matt Joyce matt at nycresistor.com
Tue May 17 19:53:45 CEST 2011

Noisebridge is pretty all access and people spend inordinate amount of time
there as non members ( myself included as I am a member at hackerdojo
currently ).  There is a donation bin so that people can throw in for the
day.  Suggested donation is 10 dollars for the day.  But nothing is
enforced.

At NYC Resistor, membership is pretty limited and people are expected to pay
dues.  If you are in a situation like out of work you can always teach
classes to cover your dues.  This does not translate to all hackerspaces as
some don't charge for events.

However NYCR did on a few occasions basically do an "artist in residence"
where someone would ( usually be visiting nyc for the summer ) have access
to NYCR basically as a member but pay nothing for the period of time they
were in residence.  I think we still made them pay for consumables such as
laser time.  No real voting capacity, or anything like that.  But keys and
24/7 access.

I liked the artist in residence approach.  I also liked providing a way for
someone to give to the hack space through an alternative means... such as
teaching classes.

I've never seen anyone thrown out of a hackerspace for not being a member
and hanging around too much ( apart from actually LIVING in the space ).