[hackerspaces] How do you define YOUR hackerspace

Far McKon farmckon at gmail.com
Mon May 9 15:59:47 CEST 2011

> At revspace, this has never been explicitly discussed. I myself had some ideas
> when I started the whole thing, but as time progressed i have had to accept
> that these might not necessarily be universal among our members.

Yeah,  this situation has put me in a tough spot.   The members of my
hackerspace have very different wants and needs than I do.  I spent
about 18 months founding the organization, and really trying to
members engaged and excited about projects I thought were important.
After that I burnt out, and largely left the space. The group
continues at their own pace which is OK and good to see, but it's
nothing like the vision of the space I had, and it's of little
interest to me.

As the founder of the organization, It's really annoying to me because
of the mixed feelings that causes. I'm glad it's a success by it's own
measure, but it's so far off from what I wanted, that I'm leaving the
group*.   This leaves me in the position of having very little
interest in what they are doing. I'm slowly dis-engaging, and I'm
probably going to start a new hackerspace.

So  if you are a founder be careful about communicating your vision,
and picking your collaborators. If you have a vision, you need to make
sure people are on board and understand it. Lest you find your
???space is going in a totally different direction than you are.

hack on,
- Far McKon

*  I'm also frustrated that I get very little respect for the work I
did starting the group, but from what I hear this is the case in
nearly all democratic organizations, and a totally different topic.