[hackerspaces] Discuss Digest, Vol 33, Issue 12

Danozano danozano at gmail.com
Sat May 7 02:48:41 CEST 2011

I think it really boils down to, are these people going to be fun, interesting, and useful to hang out with?  Business geeks who aren't hackerly in their ways fail this test, at least for me.

I will call them when I want to have flex office space away from my home area, or if I want business-related stuff that they'd be best at -- networking, who's got good printing prices, recommendations of a place to eat on a conference trip, or whatever -- and if they suck at that I might not call them for it again.  I won't call them looking for a piece of electronics gear, or for a hand figuring out a technical detail of a project, just like i wouldn't contact noninterested members of our own space for that kind of stuff.  They serve a different purpose in the toolbox.

And if they had a mystery piece of hardware I hope they could remember 23b shop is good for some things like that, and to call us to find who or what is next in their chain of actions or contacts.  It's a purely functional definition for me.  If they can help, I hope to call them; if not, no call.  Know they're around, don't bother them with details unrelated to their strong points.  Non-geeks might benefit in their way from rubbing against our groups. And we might benefit in turn from their contacts, whether they are a knowledgeable party or just a connector for us.

To win is to use tools for a useful purpose.  Reviews and subjective impressions support this well.  The more subjective and analytical, the better.

Danozano