[hackerspaces] Removing non-hackerspaces from the hackerspaces.org list?

Buddy Smith buddy.smith at ieee.org
Thu May 5 22:57:31 CEST 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 4:54 PM, John de Largentaye <john at largentaye.org> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I understand that you feel threatened that a commercial entity with
> different objectives is sucking potential members away from your
> 'space, and advertising itself as a "hackerspace" in a way that
> conflicts with your understanding of the word.

It's not that it's competition. I simply think that a coworking space
like this does not belong on a list of hackerspaces.

If it were "cooperativespaces.com" or "officerentals.com", I'd have no
problem with it, but this is hackerspaces.org. it should be a list
people use to find hackerspaces.

I feel like it's getting awfully crowded, especially here, with things
that have very little to do with hackerspaces.

I'd love for atlanta to have 3 or 4 hackerspaces, especially because I
know that many of freeside's founding members don't use the space much
because they live in a different part of town. I just don't think that
an office rental scheme should be listed in the registry of
hackerspaces.

--buddy