[hackerspaces] Removing non-hackerspaces from the hackerspaces.org list?

Yves Quemener quemener.yves at free.fr
Thu May 5 17:51:42 CEST 2011

On 05/05/2011 05:42 PM, Buddy Smith wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Ignition Alley in atlanta is a commercial Co-working space. It is not
> a hackerspace in any sense of the word.
>
> How do I go about removing it from the list of hackerspaces?
>
> Should there be a new category for commercial spaces, like fab labs,
> tech shops, coworking spaces, and tech company incubators, separate
> from hackerspaces?

I think the number of items in the list makes it sensible to categorize the
entries a bit. But the definition of "hackerspace" is subject to much
debate, I suggest finding more objective criterions (e.g. legal status,
membership fee, external revenues). It is not perfect, but it would make
more sense IMHO.

I think that what really makes a hackerspace is a sense of community around
tech projects. It is very hard to define and to check. My suggestion would
be to let anyone add a place in the list, but please comment on the pages
you think are bogus.

I think the map is important to find a place near where you live. Having
too much items there is not as problematic as missing some.