[hackerspaces] Geiger counters

john arclight arclight at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 07:59:10 CET 2011

This is sorta true. The assumption behind the CDV-715/717/720 is that
when fallout from an A-bomb or H-bomb comes, radiation levels outside
may be thousands of REM/hr.

A percentage of people will die from a 500RAD exposure (that's REM* a
factor for the type of radiation exposed to).  And people can get sick
at levels of 50-100R.

So if you were exposed to 1,000R/hr for only 10 seconds while you
checked it, that would only be 1000/3600 or 270mR.  The goal of these
instruments was to help people make choices that kept their exposure
under 500R for the 2-3 weeks required for much of it to dissipate or
decay away.  The tasks they expected to be performed include:

1. Measuring the levels inside your shelter to determine the safest
place for people, and the safest place for individuals most at risk,
such as pregnant women.

2. Using it to take brief measurements outside, so that you will know
when it is safe to go outside and for how long.

A separate instrument, called the CDV-700 was also made that could
detect much lower levels, down to background. This was to be used for
checking food, clothes, etc for contamination.  You can sometimes find
these on eBay. I would skip the CDV-715 series unless you're worried
about bad, nuclear-capable neighbors attacking you.

Just for perspective, the levels that are permissible in a work
environment are hundreds of times less than the levels that will make
you sick, and much less than the levels documented to  increase cancer
risk.  And all of us are exposed to a few R every year from cosmic
rays and naturally radioactive materials.

So the risk from weapons fallout is immediate and life-threatening,
and those instruments were built to work with that risk. The risks
from the nuclear power plant accident are more long-term and require
the low-range measuring instruments.

Arclight