[hackerspaces] [crash] Geiger counters

B F bakmthiscl at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 05:31:47 CET 2011

There's another option for radiation checking, though it's not as
convenient or quantitative as a Geiger counter.  I forget what it's
called, but it's a piece of gold leaf hung over a wire, inside a jar.
The wire goes through the top of the jar.  Use wool and amber or some
such pair to create static electricity, touch it to the wire, and the
gold leaves spread apart -- because they have the same charge.
Radiation dissipates this charge and the gold leaves come together.

Or you could buy one of these http://gammascout.com/