[hackerspaces] hackerspaces overengineering.

john arclight arclight at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 18:47:21 CEST 2011

Well, we've simplified things here, due to power costing something
like $0.20 per KW/h in California.  So that basically means a 7" eeePC
in a cabinet and a simple router to run everything at our space.  And
while the key cylinder in our door lock is an older Medeco with
picking vulnerability, we rely on having a neighbor who likes to go
outside and smoke at all hours, plus kicking people's ass that mess
with our door. :)

One problem with stuff that's too sophisticated is that somebody
invariably has a problem, and due to Hacker  Attention Deficit
Disorder (HADD) they immediately rip into it, instead of waiting 10
minutes to see if the network comes back or calling the guy who built
it.

Am I the only one who has come back to their space to find some
infrastructure item partly disassembled, all of the zip ties cut down,
and a piece of CAT5 going directly into the DSL/cable box? Sometimes
with a note like "Internet was down, so we fixed it?"

Arclight