[hackerspaces] Building a RC Submarine

Chris Weiss cweiss at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 17:09:04 CET 2011

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 10:00 AM, Buddy Smith <buddy.smith at ieee.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 10:00 AM, Chris Weiss <cweiss at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Wireless doesn't work so well under water……
>>> I hope you mean tethered, or autonomous :)
>>> --buddy
>>
>> very low frequency does work, but you need rather large antennas and
>> batteries.  search for "cave radio", most info is for voice but could
>> be adapted for data
>>

> I'm aware of that, but he did also say "coupled with a cordless camera….."
>
> It's much easier to do tethered control if you're underwater. That, or
> unspool an antenna wire that floats at the surface.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you've never
actually been in a natural cave system...

twists and turns would make dealing with a wire very problematic, and
greatly increase the risk of damaging cave formations that took many
thousands of years to create.  I'd personally rather leave that
section as an unknown than risk destroying it by dragging a cable
around.