[hackerspaces] lunar calendar recommendations?

Yves Quemener quemener.yves at free.fr
Sun Dec 25 17:22:56 CET 2011

Some companies use 13 months yearly calendar for easier computation of
holidays and per-day salaries.

There are some well-thought-out solutions :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar_reform#13-month_calendars

Note however that these calendars are still solar-year based as they try
to have the same date matching the same period of the solar cycle
(equinoxes happen on the same date every year for instance).

> I'm trying to find something what would be kind of used by more people
> so there is a support from community, some ideas?

The Islamic calendar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_calendar is lunar based, and
therefore every year it shifts in the solar cycle (some years Ramadan
happen in winter on some other in summer). That is the cost of going to
a lunar-based rhythm : your calendar is useful for moon phases but as
hard to use for seasons as a Gregorian calendar is for moon phases. It
has however a strong supporting community.

> The major deal for me is to get tuned with the moon cycle so I'm more
> in harmony with nature.

It sounds strange to me that you consider the moon to be more in harmony
with nature than the sun or that you think moon phases have more
influence on nature than seasons, but whatever suits you. Note that
there are a lot of urban legends about the importance of moon cycles in
several process (menstruations, planting of crops, childbirths, etc...).
Tides are the only verified influence I am aware of.