[hackerspaces] Libraries make room for hackerspaces [npr article]

Yves Quemener quemener.yves at free.fr
Sun Dec 11 15:08:12 CET 2011

On 12/11/2011 02:31 PM, Mel Shamanka wrote:
>     In Grenoble, we had a sort of deal with a non-profit that offered basic
>     science workshops to children : we were making public classes about how
>     to repair a PC (bring your computer and your problem, we teach you how
>     to solve it) and in exchange we could have the local an evening for a
>     hackerspace session. It was a very nice link with the general public
>     "You know, if you want to see how one tinkers with electronics, we are
>     mounting a 3D printing machine next week.
>

> That is a pretty cool idea :) Are you guys continuing this year ?

I moved from Grenoble to Lyon so I cannot say. I think that in Grenoble
they now have a more or less permanent workshop room in a gallery where
they helped set up a cupcake 3D printing machine for an exhibit. It
started as a space-for-maintenance kind of deal. I am not sure the
public workshop is still going on as several people from the non-profit
have changed.

In Lyon however, we started the repair-worshop-for-room kind of deal but
due to a variety of reasons it was less successful and now we will
probably move very soon to a smallish space that an electronic shop is
kind enough to lend us.