[hackerspaces] Sociology thesis on hacker culture in the Netherlands

Elgin Blankwater elginno at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 23:06:53 CEST 2011

Hi everyone,

Some of you may recall some e-mails that were sent out about a year ago
about someone doing a sociology thesis on hacker culture in the Netherlands.
Well, I'm finally done. If you are interested, you can download it here:
http://heelveelkoffie.nl/?p=72 in pdf and epub format (btw, my blog is
outdated). The thesis starts with some sociological theory, which you can
skip if you are not interested.

I ended up writing quite a bit about the history of hacking because it
thought it to be of great influence on the dynamics found today. I am a bit
critical about my ethnographic writings as I think I could have used a
couple of more years of experience at hackerspaces and hacker events (which
I am planning to do, as there are still plans to set up a hackerspace in
Amsterdam!) before drawing conclusions. But oh well, it's mostly a positive
view of hacker culture anyway.

A big thanks goes out to all the hackers that have been so open to me the
past year, especially the guys (and some girls) from Revspace (Den Haag),
Randomdata (Utrecht), Pumping Station:One (Chicago), and Slug (Amsterdam).
Thanks for being awesome.

I'd like to hear your opinions on my thesis.
All the best,

Elgin.