[hackerspaces] bitcoin

Yves Quemener quemener.yves at free.fr
Thu Apr 7 10:03:36 CEST 2011

On 04/06/2011 11:20 PM, Justis Peters wrote:
> On 04/05/2011 05:29 PM, Yves Quemener wrote:
>> If you don't know what bitcoin is or dismissed it like I did one year
>> ago because it looked like a pyramidal scheme, look again.
> This is exactly why I dismissed it. Can you make a further case as to
> why we should look again?

The Ponzi part was actually a way of distributing the initial amount of
wealth and giving people an incentive to participate so there is a
ponzi-like part, but there is also another part : It is actually a good
protocol to maintain a register of transactions that is 100% distributed
with no single point of failure and that is resistant to counterfeiting.
Also there will never be more than 21 millions bitcoins in circulation,
that is an important characteristic : the value can go down because
people do not trust it but not because a central authority hided the
number of BTCs really in circulation.

Most of the BTCs enthusiasts are now conscious that people "mining" BTCs
and not using them are a danger to that economy and that the current
rate (0.8$ for 1 BTC)  is probably way too high due to speculation.

Now is a good time to begin using it as a currency to buy dematerialized
goods : hosting, CPU cycles, development, web design, music, artwork,
donations, etc... There are currently no legal framework for a small
group of international enthusiast to exist and manage funds together.
Bitcoin aims at doing that.

There are currently 7 millions BTCs in circulation and that is supposed
to be a $5.6 millions but I doubt that more than a few hundreds dollars
worth are exchanged each day, so the value will probably go down
dramatically. But even after that event, it will still be a transaction
system that works and that allows micro-transactions (A BTC can be
divided in 10e6 parts).

I am willing to participate in this tentative economical hack and will
begin to accept BTCs soon in my activity as a freelance developer.

Iv