[hackerspaces] thinking (and talking) about how accessible our spaces are (or aren't)

Leigh Honeywell leigh at hypatia.ca
Thu Sep 9 13:46:56 CEST 2010

This is a call to action, inspired by a blog post[0] about normalizing
talking about accessibility in the same way we talk about parking
availability, cost, time, location, etc. when we talk about events, but
which I think is also relevant to general info about hackerspaces as
many of our spaces hold regular non-event-events such as open houses,
parties, and so on.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the "location" page on the HackLab
site, you can see the note we've included about the space's accessiblity
(and lack thereof):

http://hacklab.to/location/

We've also started including mention of relevant access issues on event
postings (laser and makerbot fumes?  not so likely when we're running a
food event, but then allergies come into play, etc.)

It's a small, low-effort thing, but can make a big difference to people
who might have not participated in your community otherwise, and I'd
like to invite other spaces to consider doing something similar on their
interweb presences.  I'm totally happy to help draft this kind of access
statements, if anyone wants to mail me offlist.

Another fun thing would be to get various access issues added as a
thing-people-can-sort-by on the wiki, but that's beyond my wiki-fu.

Moar access == moar awesomeness!

-Leigh

[0] from FWD/Forward, a fascinating blog about gender and disability
issues: http://disabledfeminists.com/2010/09/09/normalising-accessibility/