[hackerspaces] Member Polices/Agreements

Nate Bezanson myself at telcodata.us
Mon Oct 4 20:27:56 CEST 2010

Someone's name has to be on the lease, or if there's a corporate entity,
someone is held responsible as the director, or a board thereof. It's
natural for those people to be nervous about other people mucking things
up.

Our bylaws are here, basically copied from a book of nonprofit paperwork
with minor edits to fit our use. We figured the IRS would be more likely
to rubberstamp something familiar:
http://i3detroit.com/wi/index.php?title=Bylaws

I've been big on the "don't solve non-issues" angle here, too. Our new
president is very big on policy and procedure, which is okay when it's
done right, and I think he generally does it right, but I constantly find
myself playing "anarchist's advocate" and opining that not everything
needs a rule.

What DOES need doing, more than anyone realizes, is labeling. We're not
telepathic, so even though I know that box of parts is free for anyone to
use, not everyone knows that until I write on it to that effect. One basic
principle of "Knowledge should be on the wiki or on a label, not locked up
in your head" goes a long way. Otherwise you have a connectocracy where
only people who know who to call can get anything done. In such a
knowledge-starved environment, the more polite, considerate members will
avoid using materials whose provenance they don't know, which rewards the
risk-takers who use what might be other people's stuff. So "ask" and
"label" are central principles.

-Nate-