[hackerspaces] Cleaning up the wiki "list of hackerspaces"

Sylva1n sylv41n at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 19:39:13 CET 2010

Mmmm ... Ok, so now, hackerspaces in the "building" phase, when
recruiting members is both the most difficult, and the most crucial,
are not visible on the main map. Nor are they visible from the first
link at the top of the page (planned spaces only).

Hackerspaces that report their "building" status honestly are
disadvantaged, and I've already found several example of HS without
physical space being reported as active. Maybe I misunderstand the
definition of 'active'? Is there a more or less formal definition of
the planned/building/active stages?

If clutter/loading time is a problem may I suggest the following fixes:
 * the "List of hackerspaces" page could simply show a static world
map, pointing to X pages with regional dynamic maps. For now,
splitting the list as Americas/EMEA/Asia-Pacific should result in 3
relatively equal lists. Add a link to the "whole World" list, off
course.
 * color-code the HS geographical markers by status (eg. red planned,
orange building, green active, grey closed). It seems to be possible
to use other types/colors of markers
(http://www.benjaminkeen.com/?p=105).

Can I help with the Google/color stuff?

Sylvain