[hackerspaces] hackerspaces meetup? / hope and 27c3

Matt Joyce matt at nycresistor.com
Tue May 18 18:50:24 CEST 2010

I disagree nick.  In general yes, they absolutely have value.  But, there's
already a ton of outreach and exposure available for their contributions.
At an event such as this, the focus should be on sharing working knowledge,
and fostering collaboration.

In a discussion relating say to financing or insurance at a space, apart
from professional experience ( maybe guest contributors? ) the average
person who would show up would either not be able to contribute very much,
or more likely inadvertently waste peoples time catching up to speed on "the
basics".

I don't see what someone would get out of the event either, unless they had
a working knowledge of hackerspace day to day operations.

It just strikes me as counter productive on both sides.

=/

On May 18, 2010 12:38 PM, "Nick Farr (hackerspaces.org)" <
nick at hackerspaces.org> wrote:

> I see immense value in getting organizers of spaces together to discuss
> issues related with spac...
Agreed.  When someone steps forward to put an event like this
together, we should encourage it, even if we can't attend it.

> An event like that however is not suited to "public access".  It's not
about
> exclusion or eliti...
I'm going to strongly disagree with this for three reasons:

1) Ideally, anyone who puts forward an effort with hackerspaces is an
"organizer".  Anyone who bothers to show up to an event is likely
motivated enough to be in a position to help encourage
interhackerspace cooperation.

2) Especially in this community, when you make an event anything less
than entirely open, you lose potential attendees with (justifiable)
charges of elitism.

3) There are still many folks interested in building Hackerspaces that
might not have an "official" affiliation but would add value to such
an event.  Especially for a first time event, anyone that shows up
should get accreditation for that simple reason.

I think the rest of your e-mail warrants a new thread...