[hackerspaces] hackerspaces meetup? / hope and 27c3

Nick Farr (hackerspaces.org) nick at hackerspaces.org
Tue May 18 17:17:11 CEST 2010

I'm going to disagree strongly on this one, especially when it comes
to Raymond's effort.  We shouldn't discourage it.

We're at the point where a hackerspaces-focused conference is
necessary.  /tmp/lab proved this with HSF
(http://www.hackerspace.net/)

If a crew on this side of the Atlantic presents itself as a starting
point, then so be it.  Raymond, did you want to possibly run a US HSF
in coordination with /tmp/lab?

There's a lot of things to discuss, from formation, growth, survival
and more importantly looking at ways to work together--just among
North American spaces.

Just looking at the ChaosVPN--there's probably enough there for at
least a day's worth of working sessions, training and development
meetings.

The problem with "just picking a bigger conference" is that attention
is incredibly diluted.  People are there for a multitude of reasons,
and it's hard to get people to focus their attention on a single
topic, get everyone to agree on a working session, etc.

There are going to be Hackerspace-centric efforts at The Next Hope and
DEFCON, 27C3 and likely many other conferences.

The problem with the CCC Congress is that it's virtually out of the
question for those with family obligations in the Americas.  I feel
hackerspaces should be reaching out to those with families, or at the
very least avoiding more situations where those folks might be
excluded.

Nick Farr / http://nickfarr.org / 8B13F204
Washington, DC, 20013-1208
P: +1 (707) 676-FARR