[hackerspaces] Establishing hackerspace and getting people actively involved

Sara Gould sajego at alum.rit.edu
Mon May 10 15:25:29 CEST 2010

I'm wondering if anyone else has used a model of starting a
hackerspace as a business (successfully or not).  Some of you have
said, essentially, "if you build it they will come".  So it almost
makes sense to take your savings and bootstrap to rent a space and get
some stuff in there to attract members. Then charge the membership fee
that's needed to cover the space expenses and your personal expenses.
I don't think you'd get rich, and when the space takes off justifying
it as for-profit might be tricky, but it's a way to get started maybe
it's not risky as it sounds, especially if you can get a flexible
lease.

Just my 2 cents... been thinking on these lines since November so I'd
be curious what anyone else has to say.

Sara