[hackerspaces] Fwd: [austin-hacker-space] Defcon Talk

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 18:03:16 CEST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Leigh Honeywell <leigh at hypatia.ca>
Date: Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 10:59 AM
Subject: Re: [austin-hacker-space] Defcon Talk
To: austin-hacker-space at googlegroups.com

Matthew McCabe wrote:

> To clarify, I am looking for members of the Austin Hackerspace who are interested in speaking at Defcon.  I want to figure out who from Austin would like to sit on a panel and talk about forming a hackerspace in the early stages.  I will reach out to both the Defcon organizers and other hackerspaces to see if there is interest in having a cross-hackerspace panel on starting hackerspaces.  But I want to first figure out who in Austin is interested and what exactly we are going to talk about first...
>
> Martin: do you want to sit on the panel?
>
> Also, I want to stress that if you are on the panel, you will need to talk.  I need people who are willing to contribute to the discussion...not just warm bodies on stage ;)
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

Not to be a wet blanket here, but "how to start a hackerspace" has
been done multiple times before at Defcon, including a panel last
year.

You're going to need a more interesting angle than "we did it too!" to
get a talk accepted about hackerspaces this year, I think.  For
example, the panel I was on last year
(http://www.defcon.org/html/links/dc-archives/dc-17-archive.html#Beth)
focused on projects that the various hackerspaces panellists were
involved with had accomplished, rather than just talking about
starting a space - which has really been done to death.

-Leigh

--
Leigh Honeywell
http://hypatia.ca