[hackerspaces] Does a space need water?

Matt Joyce matt at nycresistor.com
Wed Mar 17 00:22:12 CET 2010

Plumbing is a must...

Slop sink aside... if you intend to get into brewing you'll eventually get
into automation and that will require plumbing.

BEYOND that...  dish washing, cooking, chemistry, ...  the list goes on.

Cleaning Feric Chloride... lasered materials... yourself....

I mean... yeah... get plumbing.  definitely get plumbing.  Hell we just had
a whole kitchen including gas stove dropped off here.

-Matt

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 7:10 PM, Dave Null <noid23 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll tell ya, having water at the Lodge is a nice thing. When people are
> crashing out at the Lodge it's nice to be able to offer them a functioning
> bathroom and shower. Having a sink in the kitchen makes food prep and
> clean-up easier as well. Finally, we brew beer so having a nice deep sink
> and running water makes things a lot easier.
>
> So in the end, I think it depends on what you are planning on doing at your
> space or what you anticipate your needs to be.
>
> PGP Key ID: 0x0517358E
> "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are
> free" - Goethe
> --
>

> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Nick Farr (hackerspaces.org) <
> nick at hackerspaces.org> wrote:
>
>> In general, a bathroom that someone else cleans is better than one members
>> must clean themselves.
>>
>> However, having a utility sink is generally a good idea.  Such things
>> usually aren't that hard to plumb yourself if you have the landlord's
>> permission.
>>
>> Nick Farr / http://nickfarr.org / 8B13F204
>> Washington, DC, 20013-1208
>> P: +1 (707) 676-FARR
>> F: +1 (866) 536-2616
>>

>> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 18:10, Sara Gould <sajego at alum.rit.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> Looking for our first space I have about 5 to choose from so far.
>>> There's so much variety just in what I looked, all empty, the market
>>> favors new tenants right now.
>>>
>>> One thing I don't think I've seen in the design docs is whether having
>>> water IN your space versus across the hall in a shared bathroom is
>>> worth paying more for.  More flexibility, yes, but we'd also have to
>>> clean the bathroom if it's in the space versus shared.  I could see
>>> the other tenants being upset if someone messes up the bathroom and
>>> leaves it that way but that could happen with any business.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?  Have you wished for a utility sink often?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Sara