[hackerspaces] Hackerspace business plan

Peter Ing peter.ing.za at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 14:14:59 CEST 2010

I agree fully with that. I think its best to keep a hackerspace non
commercial and then if you want you could always attach some
commercial venture to it for example selling stuff made through the
hackerspace, but that would be for each member to do on his own
possibly with the help and support of the community. Or have a
business run a hackerspace as part of giving back to the community.

The big problem is that a hackerspace will still need some kind of
capital input because of the need for physical space and resources.
Thats the hard part, rent isn't cheap and the community will probably
be changing all the time so you can't rely on membership fees. In fact
membership fees kind of remind me of a commercial interest. So its
challenging finding a model that will allow a hackerspace to be
sustainable.

Perhaps this thread should be called "Hackerspace Sustainbility Plans"
because is that is the kind of planning and that is needed to make a
Hackerspace work as opposed to a business plan. Well thats the way I
see it looking at the concept of a Hackerspace vs a Business.

I wonder if anyone has done any formal work in this regard? What about
getting formal input in the form of a wiki or something where
sustainability models could be explored or something?